Slow and Steady

My first day at college

Posted on: February 3, 2010

I was so nervous that I didn’t sleep the night before despite taking my pills. On the Monday, I had to go to the college to get my ID and ended up in tears in the car because  I kept being stared at with my stick, I was seriously thinking of not going, but my friend talked me round.

I left the house very early because I wanted to be able to take my time and not rush. It was a good thing because the traffic was a  nightmare.

I met one of the other students on the way in, a retired librarian, and we walked to the class together. After a while 3 other students came and our tutor came in and changed the room around so we’d be sitting at the back.

We watched her teach an intermediate class and then we spoke about it, and she told us that we’d be teaching next week, and gave us the paperwork we’d need to make a plan.

In the afternoon, we met the other 5 students who were watching a beginners class. We had a Danish class so we could see how it felt learning a new language. Our tutors then took us through the expectations of the course, and the timetable for the 18 weeks.

Most of the other students seem lovely. There is one I’m finding a bit annoying, and he has now decided we’re friends because he’s always wanted to work in the industry I’m in. The tutors had put together an icebreaker that involved finding out who has done what, and the sentence about me was about my job.

I decided to not speak about my accident, or why I’m walking with a stick. I was quite pleased that people haven’t asked what is wrong, or how it happened.

Just after lunch I started feeling the beginning of a flare up. On our tea break in the afternoon, I laid on the tables and did some stretches too.  After  the class my tutor asked if there was anything else they could do to make my day easier,  I asked if there was somewhere to lay down, and she spoke to security and I can use the 1st aid room when ever I need to.

I think going forward, I’m going to spend my lunch lying down so I hopefully won’t feel too sore in the afternoon.

More traffic on the way home, and by the time I got in, all I was good for was to go to bed!


2 Responses to "My first day at college"


I hope you feel better

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: